Saturday, August 23, 2014

Why running 18 miles is only half of the battle...

I must admit, running 18 miles is no easy feat.  I've been training for the past few months to get ready for the marathon in October.  But it is by far only half of the battle...and I don't mean the physical one.

For instance, what people fail to mention is what comes next.  It may sound like a good idea to get in the shower when you're finished running.  And indeed it is...but it all burns.  I mean, I'm chaffed from here to Sunday.

Lesson #1: Glide thy body

Though I lathered up my arms before hitting the road, I did not glide my legs nor my sports bra areas.  Big mistake.  There is nothing worse (at the moment) than trying to take a shower and not letting water/wet hair/shampoo/soap run down your back, chest, or neck.  Man, I never knew I could bend so far backwards as to avoid the pain.

Lesson #2: Ice thy body
Usually, I'm pretty good about taking an ice bath.  I load up the tub and soak in it for 10-15 minutes depending on how much I can tolerate that day to refresh my muscles.  I have to leave my socks, shorts, and sports bra on though because it's so cold.  Usually I have my netflix going in one hand and a Starbucks coffee in the other to pass the time. Today, I ran out of time so we'll see if I pay for it tomorrow...

Lesson #3: Fuel thy body
I mean this is any easy one right??? Wrong.  For me, after a long run, I usually guzzle an extra bottle of water and some gatorade to replenish.  Today I recovered with chocolate milk (my fav) and gatorade.  And while both are equally fabulous solutions, you can never underestimate the stomach problems that ensue...bringing me to my last point.

Lesson #4: Use thy bathroom
I have been pretty fortunate enough not to have too many tummy problems when it comes to running.  But man, oh man, do not be fooled.  Pretty much it comes and goes in waves until your stomach gets settled again.  Today for example, I just about peed my pants.  I literally stopped at mile 18 and had to hide in the woods real quick.  I mean at that point it wouldn't have mattered because I was honestly so sweaty no one could have noticed.  Thank god no one came running down the trail...

1 comment:

  1. hahaha, love #4! bathroom problems while running are the worst!

    ReplyDelete